A small town situated on the banks of the River Wear at the entrance to Weardale its origins date back to Saxon times. In the Middle Ages it was an important mercantile centre , being granted a Market Charter in 1615, and it provided services to the whole of the dale. The railway came in 1847 and soon afterwards Charles Atwood established an ironworks where steel was made until 2008. Attwoods fine home became a hospital after his death and is now a luxury housing developement.
Today the town is still well served and offers good facilities including : a general dealers, a greengrocers, paper shop, hardwear shop, Post Office and gifts, butcher,chemist, baker, hair salons, Barclays Bank, indoor swimming, bowling green and recreation field.
The town is surrounded by lovely countryside with over 80 miles of footpaths in its Parish including the Weardale Way long distance walk. The Wolsingham Wayfarers have organised monthly walks. Close by there is Hamsterly Forest with visitor centre, forest drive, cycle hire and pony trekking and the beautiful Tunstall Reservoir. Wolsingham is also the eastern terminal of the Weardale Heritage Railway.
The main event of the year is the Annual Show helds by Wolsingham Agricultural Society on the first weekend in September. Established in 1763 it is one of the oldest show in the country.
Wolsingham is ideally situated for exploring the villages and attractions of Weardale and places further afield in County Durham.