Wearhead village stands at the point where Burnhope Burn and Killhope Burn join to form the River Wear. It was once a lead mining village and the terminus for the Wear Valley Railway, with many shops and services but now the nearest shop is at St. John's Chapel two miles away and the nearest pubs are at Cowshill (1 mile) and St John's Chapel (2 miles). Between 1930 - 1937 a reservoir was built for the Sunderland and South Shields Waterboard. This area affords lovely, peaceful walks especially in May and June when the wading birds are nesting in the area.
Visits to Killhope North of England Lead Mining Museum (4 miles) and the Weardale Museum, Ireshopeburn (1 mile) are recommended.
Click below to enlarge images in the gallery