Blanchland is an attractive village on the Northumberland/County Durham border which grew out of the foundation of an abbey in 1165. It was bought by the Bishop of Durham, Nathaniel Lord Crewe in 1708, and on his death in 1721 Blanchland became part of a charitable trust established by his will. It flourished during the 19th century lead mining bonanza and industrial archaeology abounds nearby. Today Blanchland is a conservation village, reputed to be one of the prettiest in England, and is a popular destination for visitors from all over the world.
There are a number of local walk leaflets courtesy of the North Pennines AONB and an innovation this year is a 20km long route designed for horse-riders and cyclists alike - based on the 18th Century packhorse trails, once used to transport lead and other goods to far-off towns.
For the less energetic sailing and fishing are available nearby. There are places of refreshment and relaxation, a children's playground, a picnic area and riverside walk with Access for All, and space to just sit and stare or read some of the booklets telling the story of Blanchland, Abbey, Village and Community.